Monday, April 13, 2009

Now hear this...

Bloom Project: Sudden Aurora

The standard disclaimer applies: Thollem McDonas and Rent Romus are my friends, so this won't be the most objective review ever. But I can vouch personally for their eye-opening technical proficiency and solid inspiration.

Something I particularly like about the CD is the brevity of its tracks. To me it's a sign of thoughtful musicianship when ideas can be stated confidently in a short amount of time.

Since I was present at the October 2008 live performance that forms a lot of Sudden Aurora, I wish it were a DVD so listeners could also see what a sweaty, turbo-charged experience that concert was. I feel that way about a lot of CDs released by Bay Area new music people -- the live dimension just can't be beat.

No comments: