Sunday, January 20, 2008

Paul's potatoes au gratin au vin

Paul brought these potatoes to a gathering at my mom's house. Here's the recipe exactly as he gave it to my mom. If this dish suits your dietary restrictions, by all means please make it in his memory.

Today is Day 20 of this nightmarish new reality.

------
Potatoes au gratin au vin a la Justin

  • 6-8 large potatoes cut into thin slices
  • olive oil
  • 6-8 large onions cut into thin slices
  • 1 cup white wine (sauterne if possible)
  • ground cayenne pepper to taste (substitute chili powder if you don't like hot stuff)
  • 4.5 cups grated white cheddar and Italian cheeses. (I use the Sargento brand pre-grated cause I'm lazy...but you can add your own mix of grated romano, provolone, parmesan, asiago, etc. I really like dry Monterey Jack as well.)
  • salt to taste

Oil pan (I usually spray with non-stick spray as well).
Layer in potatoes, onions, and cheese.
Pour in the wine.
Sprinkle top with pepper.
Bake at 375 for an hour.

No comments: